Wirex Review for 2023
Quick Summary: Wirex offers an innovative payment solution for individuals who want to spend fiat currencies and cryptocurrencies from a single wallet without a hassle. Wirex’s goal is simple – to make crypto more accessible to average users.
Starting with their crypto debit cards, the platform enables their users to make purchases around the world with their crypto assets easily. To give you a more enjoyable experience, Wirex also offers contact payments, super-fast crypto transfers, instant credits, and multi-currency exchange.
And if you’re also into crypto cash back rewards, Wirex also offers that too along with zero fees and high limits!
It’s a complete package if we must say, so sign up now!
Ever since launching the first cryptocurrency in 2009, there have been several roadblocks to using these assets as a regular payment method. To begin with, there’s the volatility problem and the lack of regulation, which has made merchants hesitant to support crypto payments.
However, things have started to change in the last couple of years with the advent of the DeFi industry. One such solution that bridges the gap between cryptocurrencies and goods and services available for purchase is Wirex – a crypto app, digital payment platform, and multi-currency debit card all at once.
Table of Contents
Wirex at A Glance
- Website: https://wirexapp.com/
- Country: London, United Kingdom
- Mobile App: Available
- Deposit Methods: Crypto Cards or bank transfer
- Fiat Currencies: AUD, CAD, EUR, CHF, CZK, GBP, HKD, JPY, MXN, SGD, USD
- Cryptocurrencies: BTC, LTC, WXT, XRP, ETH, WAVES, WLO, DAI, NANO, XLM
List of Features
- Easy top-up
- Smooth ATM withdrawals
- It ensures Wirex protection of the customer’s funds and personal information
- Wirex’s Wirex website is user-friendly interface, and provides an easy process for verification
- Mobile compatible apps available for iOS along with Android devices.
- Provides competitive pricing with no exorbitant exchange costs
- 24/7 customer support
- Wirex Premium Plan and Elite Plan
- Has its own crypto wallet
- Zero to low fees
- Supports withdrawals, deposits of funds, spending and exchange of fiat currencies and crypto
- There are no fees to hold an account
- Regulated by FCA, MAS, and the Bank of Lithuania
- Accepts fiat and cryptocurrencies as well as fiat
- Wirex debit card is a great way to earn rewards and referral programs.
- Affordable and reasonable (low) fee structure
- There is no monthly maintenance fee for accounts. is charged
- Wirexapp Australia insists on the importance of its security. It has extensive security features
- Supportive and responsive customer service
- Mobile-compatible Wirex app lets you trade easily of fiat currency and crypto
- Global reach with more than 130 nations around the world
- Simple registration
- Educational resources are available through Wirex Help Center, the Wirex Help Center, Wirex Community as well as Wirex Blog. Wirex Blog
- Do not provide graphs or indicators for conducting any additional technical analysis
- No demo account
- Limitations on daily and per-transaction expenditure restrictions
About the Platform
Wirex was co-founded back in 2014 by Pavel Matveev and Dmitry Lazarichev. Their main office is in the UK but they’ve expanded since then in several other locations around the world.
The Wirex platform is very similar to a regular bank account but what makes it different is that you can store both cryptocurrencies and fiat currencies in one single Wirex account. Not only can you store currencies in the Wirex wallet, but you can also buy, sell, and exchange crypto for crypto, crypto for fiat, or fiat for crypto within minutes, at real-time OTC and interbank rates.
Users of this mobile platform get the chance to make cheaper and quicker cross-border payments. The app is especially convenient for businesses or individuals who have invested in cryptocurrency but earn their salary in fiat currency, as they won’t have to switch back and forth between traditional bank accounts and crypto ones.
To get started, simply download the Wirex app on your iOS or Android device and complete the registration and verification processes. You’ll need to confirm your email address and verify your identity with a camera selfie and a legitimate ID.
The Multi-Currency Wirex Card
Apart from the mobile app, Wirex’s main selling point is its crypto debit card. This multi-currency Visa card allows you to make in-store purchases at more than 50 million locations around the world – basically everywhere they accept Visa payments – by automatically converting your cryptocurrencies into traditional currencies.
The Wirex card is quite user-friendly but our only remark is the fact that it’s not contactless, something that came out as rather limiting during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Wirex provides the option to link 9 fiat currency accounts and 8 cryptocurrency ones. The list of supported fiat currencies includes USD, GBP, EUR, CAD, CZK, HUF, PLN, RON, and HRK.
As for cryptocurrencies, you get to choose from Bitcoin (BTC) and some of the most popular altcoins: Ethereum (ETH), Litecoin (LTC), Ripple (XRP), Stellar (XLM), WAVES, NANO, and DAI. However, you can also exchange the supported fiat and crypto coins for other crypto assets, including a number of DeFi tokens like LINK, UNI, FTT, 1INCH, COMP, BAT, and more.
DeFi tokens aren’t available for purchase in the United Kingdom and Singapore.
Wirex Payment Methods
There are several ways in which you can top up your Wirex account. You can link your bank account to make bank transfers via SEPA, SWIFT, or Faster Payments, deposit funds via your credit or debit card (provided it’s a Visa or Mastercard), or make a crypto deposit. As usual, card payments are almost instantaneous, bank transfers typically take a day or two, and crypto deposits depend on the current network congestion.
Wirex Fees and Limits
External debit/credit card
Crypto/fiat account: 1,49%
Crypto exchange services
OTC rates + commission
Fiat exchange services
Internal transfer (between Wirex users)
External transfer (crypto)
Before we proceed with a detailed overview of Wirex’s exchange rates and limits, it’s important to note that exchange fees may vary based on your location and target currency, which is why we always recommend double-checking the platform’s website.
Wirex charges no fees for card issuance, account maintenance, and delivery, nor for creating and managing your Wirex account. There used to be a 1 EUR monthly maintenance fee but now even card replacements are free.
Wirex deposit fee is based on the payment method you’ve chosen. For instance, topping up your account with cryptocurrency via a debit or credit card will cost you 1% per deposit, while fiat top-ups incur no extra charges.
While you can make crypto deposits free of charge, trading one cryptocurrency for another incurs a 1% fee on top of existing market rates (blockchain fee is another thing). This is quite expensive compared to what you would pay if you use a popular cryptocurrency exchange like Binance or Kraken (0.1%-0.5%).
One of Wirex’s major downsides is the high ATM fees. Although ATM withdrawals under 400 EUR per month or 250 EUR per day are free, there’s a 2% fee on anything above that amount. Wirex is aware of this shortcoming and has already addressed it with the new Mastercard debit card (more on that below!).
As for Wirex card limits Australia, they only apply to crypto exchanges (based on the asset in question), and fiat exchanges are unlimited. Additionally, there’s a maximum limit of 2,000 EUR per transaction for outbound crypto transfers, a daily limit of 2,500 EUR on card top-ups for verified accounts, and a 50 EUR limit for unverified accounts. There’s no limit on the maximum account balance.
The transaction fees are represented in Euros but calculated upon execution in the local currency.
Wirex Token (WXT)
The Wirex Token (WXT) is a Stellar-based utility token and the platform’s native cryptocurrency. WXT tokens enjoy several benefits on Wirex such as up to 2% Wirex Cryptoback in-store and online and up to a 6% savings bonus on their WXT balance.
On the app, you can purchase the asset by clicking on the Exchange tab in your Wirex crypto account. You need to select one of your currency accounts (crypto or fiat) and enter the sum you want to trade. Another option is to purchase the token with your linked card. You can also find WXT on international crypto platforms like OKEx and KuCoin.
Wirex X Account Review
The Wirex X-Account is an interest account for both fiat and digital currency deposits that allow you to make the most of your funds and earn passive income. The interest is compounded daily but you receive weekly payments.
The X-Account has an amazing interest rate that starts at 6% for crypto deposits and can get as high as 10% if you agree to be paid in WXT instead of the currency you’re actually lending. For fiat deposits, the rate starts at 12% and climbs up to 16% with WXT payouts.
Wirex users lend these funds to institutional investors and reliable DeFi platforms like 1inch and Uniswap. The platform has also partnered with Firedblocks, earning $30 million insurance on crypto assets.
To create an X-Account, simply find the separate tab on your dashboard and transfer funds from your regular Wirex currency accounts to your newly-created X-Account. You can withdraw assets from your interest account whenever you want.
Mastercard Debit Card
Wirex has recently launched a Mastercard debit card available only in the UK and EEA. This card will facilitate even faster borderless payments, charge zero monthly fees, and make free international ATM withdrawals with high limits a possibility. Plus, this time, it’s contactless!
Wirex has a PCI Level 1 certificate and it has been licensed by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Currently, the company is applying for a license in Japan, Singapore, the EEA, and Ireland. They have a money license in the UK and one from the Bank of Lithuania, which proves they take great care to cooperate with local regulators and comply with their frameworks.
The mobile app requires users to activate two-factor authentication (2FA) as an additional layer of security for their accounts. Plus, they need to choose a PIN and receive a recovery phrase that would help them get their account back in case it’s been hacked or they’ve lost/forgotten their PIN.
If you want to know more about Wirex’s features or double-check their fees, you should head to their help centre where you’ll find useful articles and explanations.
In case you run into a problem with your account or payments, the best way to contact the Wirex support team is via email or live chat, but you can also try the Wirex community first where you can get in touch with other users who might have the solution for your problem. This method has proven to be not only effective, but faster too.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Countries Does Wirex Support?
The founding team has plans to turn Wirex into a global powerhouse and they’re “already halfway there!” This international platform is currently available in over 130 countries around the world.
How to Create a Wirex Account?
In this Wirex Australia review, you'll learn how to open an account on Wirex. Just follow the steps below:
- Download the Wirex app at App Store or Google Play.
- Open the app > tap Register.
- Please enter your name in full as well as your email address and password Click Register.
- You will receive an email with an activation link Follow the link.
- Return to the app and tap Continue.
- You will be asked to confirm your number. Choose your country code, then type in your telephone number. press Send.
- You will receive a 7-digit code via text message. It could require up to 10 minutes to receive the code. If you need to, you can Re-send the code or go back to the original screen to enter your number again.
Congratulations! Your account has been set up. Now you are able to log in and access your own banking experience.
How Much Does a Wirex Card Cost?
To get the Wirex card and the corresponding account is completely free.
You can purchase a credit card only once your Wirex account has been verified successfully.
If you do not have enough money in your bank account, then you could be asked to top up before making a purchase. The exact amount you'll must have in your account in order to purchase the card is determined by your region, however it is displayed on the application.
How to Get Wirex Card Australia?
- On the Dashboard Scroll down to "Order cards".
- In the Order New Card window, select Get the card.
- Review your personal information as well as your billing information. If you require changing something, you can click Contact Support.
- Select the delivery options.
- Click to place an order. The order will be successful. message. Go back to the Dashboard to continue working in the application.
How Does Wirex Make Money?
Wirex earns profit just as every other exchange. They offer their products and services.
How to Use Wirex Card?
- Sign up for with Wirex. Wirex account.
- It is necessary to have a credit card to make purchases using Wirex. To buy a credit card, simply select the card you wish to purchase, then enter your personal information, your residence location and preferred payment method. The order is processed as quickly as it is possible.
- When you've received an account, you are able to now apply crypto to your card (instantly making it the currency that is on your card).
- Congratulations! You are now able to use your Wirex card wherever Mastercard can be used.
What Is a Wirex Card?
Wirex Card is distinct card that is offered by Wirex. Wirex offers a platform for payments that allows individuals to manage and use both digital and traditional currencies in one location. It is accessible on the internet as well as mobile, Wirex enables crypto users to store, transfer money, receive money or sell and also spend more than 59 digital assets.
How to Activate Wirex Card?
- On the Dashboard Select cards, select the appropriate card from the drop-down menu on the left side. Click Activate card.
- Enter the last four numbers of the card's code and the expiration date.
- Click Activate.
How to Transfer Money From Wirex to Bank Account?
- In the Wirex application, type in your bank's Routing number along with your account number.
- Input these number to make a USD transfer from Wirex onto your banking account. That's it!
How to Withdraw Money From Wirex?
It is possible to transfer funds from an X-Account and transfer them to the cryptocurrency or fiat account. The reasoning is similar to adding funds.
- To withdraw money from an X-Account, you must follow these easy steps.
- On the dashboard Tap X-Account on the dashboard.
- Select the X-Account you'd like to withdraw money from
- Select Withdraw
- Enter the amount, and then select To withdraw.
You can withdraw cash at any ATM in the globe which accepts Mastercard.
The possibility of withdrawing up to $400 EUR per month with no extra cost. After that, there is a fee of just 2.2% is added.
It is important to note that some ATM operators might charge additional fees. Be aware of this prior to making a withdrawal.
How to Add Funds to Wirex Card?
- Log into your Wirex account, then click Accounts on the left hand side.
- Choose the account you'd like to fund with funds.
- Scroll down to actions and Click Add Funds.
- Choose the external account or linked card that you want to top-up with.
- If you have selected an account linked to a credit card then you can make the transaction through the Wirex application. If you chose an external cryptocurrency or currency account you will be supplied with the required information needed to transfer funds directly to the Wirex account through the platform outside of Wirex (Sort number, IBAN number, Cryptocurrency address, etc. ...)
- You can complete the transaction using your platform of choice. Pay your balance.
How to Verify Wirex Account?
To confirm the authenticity of your Wirex account, take these steps:
- When it's time for you to verify your identity, you'll be automatically directed away from your Dashboard towards the Check Your Identity screen. You can also begin verification by going to Settings > Profile.
- Tap Verify Identity.
- On the screen to confirm personal information Fill in the required fields, verify them for accuracy, then tap Next.
- On the screen that says Confirm Mobile Phone you will be asked to enter your mobile number and confirm it by using the SMS we will send to the number that you have registered.
- In the Identity Verification screen, tap Select a document and then select the kind of document that you would like to present to verify your identity.
- Photograph your POI documentation. Check that the photo of your document isn't blurred, does not display any glare or is cut in such a way that all the details are discernible. If you have to take a new picture, tap Take a New Photo. the picture, simply tap Make a new photo. If you're satisfied that the photo that you took of the POI appears clear and accessible, click My document is accessible to upload the photo.
- When you are on the selfie Verification screen, click the button to take your selfie. Make sure that your selfie captures your entire face. If you're required to retake the picture, simply tap to take a new Picture. If you're happy that the selfie is clear and shows your face in all its glory and is clear, tap Confirm Myselfie to upload the photo.
- You will get an acknowledgement of submission. This indicates that your documents were successfully processed.
Verification typically takes five minutes, but it could take longer in certain situations. When your documents have been checked (or rejected) you will be sent an email or an app notification.